Monday 23 March 2015

Evaluation Task 3


I am a first time filmmaker, so my film would not include any recognisable actors (they would not want to appear in a film that isn’t a guaranteed success and I wouldn’t have the money to hire them). My film doesn’t have any presold elements that have already built up a fan base and therefore a group of people who would want to see the film, as well as this, there would be no use of CGI, 3D or IMAX in my film as this is also expensive and I do not have the money to fund this. This means that my film would attract a niche audience rather than a mainstream global one as without these features, my film would not be able to be distributed globally. Worldwide cinemas would not want to book my film as the chances of it being a success are slim and therefore, showing my film would not make them any profit.
    Moreover, the money to fund the production of the film would be my own as being a first time filmmaker, no company would want to risk putting money into the production of a film that is not a guaranteed success. They would also not want to spend money on trying to distribute it on a global scale as this will not benefit them. For them, my film would be too much of a gamble. This would mean that my film will not be distributed globally because I would not have sufficient money to do this.
    The audience for my film would not be the worldwide, mainstream audience, like it would be for some other films made by big film companies. My film would be targeted at a niche UK audience because the film is set in London and therefore, the audience will be able to relate to it. The plot revolves around the specific story of solving the case of a kidnapping and murder, which are fairly cliché ideas; therefore, people in the UK are likely to want to see my film. The audience of my film is limited due to the budget and so my film would appeal to the small group of people who visit independent cinemas (such as the Curzon) to watch films other than the ones shown at the multiplex as well as distributed online using sites like YouTube, Vimeo and iTunes. On YouTube and iTunes, my film could be made available free or for a small fee and therefore would enable me to make money. My film may also be shown on TV by some low budget TV companies. 

       Low budget companies such as Vertigo and Warp Films may distribute my film. Vertigo made and distributed the film ‘London to Brighton’ which is similar to my film and so they may be likely to distribute. Similarly, Warp Films distributed the film ‘Sight Seers’ which is also similar to my film and so they may be inclined to distribute it. Additionally, a TV channel such as Channel 5 may distribute my film on TV as they often show other low budget films. To raise awareness for the film’s distribution, posters could be made. Additionally, because the film would be aimed at a teenage audience, sneak peeks could be released onto a Facebook or Twitter page for followers to access. Pop up adverts could also appear in the side of these sites as these may attract the audience and they could click on the link to find out more if they were interested. A small creative agency may be able to help create adverts that will attract the desired target audience. By using social media to create awareness, those who look at the marketing efforts can easily pass it on to their friends by sharing the Facebook or Twitter page which would help to create even more awareness and possibly demand for the film.

 

If I could not get funding from Vertigo or other low-budget film companies, I would have to fund my film myself, making it ultra low budget and I would try to get funding from the BFI to help produce and distribute the film, To promote my film, I would go to several film festivals were I would hopefully attracted the desired target audience. I would also self-distribute my film by putting it on YouTube for free, with the aim to create awareness and build a wider audience for my film. I could also set up free screenings in local community halls to further promote my film to my target audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment